[Distutils] Distutils problem

Alex Labram ajl59 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:12:36 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so have no idea where to submit bug reports. If this message
should be winging its way to someone else, please tell me.

I'm having some trouble installing the distutils source. Transcript below -
it looks to be a code bug rather than a system problem, although of course
I could be mistaken.

I'm using python 2.3 on a Debian system. Python is installed to /usr/lib
(hence the --home=/usr/lib - I also tried installing without this option
and got the same message). I downloaded my copy of distutils today so it
should be the latest version.

Am I making an obvious mistake or is there a genuine problem?

Thanks and sorry to bother,
Alex

root at ajl59:/home/ajl59/distutils/Distutils-1.0.2# python setup.py install
--home=/usr/lib Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 30, in ?
    packages = ['distutils', 'distutils.command'],
  File "/home/ajl59/distutils/Distutils-1.0.2/distutils/core.py", line 101,
in setup
    _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
  File "/home/ajl59/distutils/Distutils-1.0.2/distutils/dist.py", line 130,
in __init__
    setattr(self, method_name, getattr(self.metadata, method_name))
AttributeError: DistributionMetadata instance has no attribute 'get___doc__'