[Distutils] Supporting extensibility in disutils

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Aug 2 19:48:27 CEST 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 01:38 pm, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
 > The PYTHONDISTUTILSPATH would allow this without having to
 > change any code, even though it's considered dangerous.

Agreed; I wasn't objecting to using an environment variable for this, or to
exposing some sort of distutils.path.  I think what goes into the path is
module names, not directory names, though, so it's a tiny bit different from
sys.path in construction.

 > Providing distutils.path would also allow munging the path
 > in e.g. sitecustomize.py which is probably what you have in mind.

Actually, no, I was thinking of loading a setting from the configuration file,
which allows per-installation and per-user configuration.  That also avoids
importing distutils in sitecustomize, which I consider a good thing (the
fewer things that affect Python's startup, the better!).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>