[Distutils] newbie distutils questions *please*...

seberino at spawar.navy.mil seberino at spawar.navy.mil
Tue Sep 30 19:50:25 EDT 2003

I had some newbie distutils I wanted to humbly ask if you don't mind.

I read distutils docs on python.org but still had some basic questions...

1. What goes into __init__.py files??? I know what setup.py contents are
   but I don't recall seeing advice on what to put in __init__.py.

2. I have a ton of data files to list in setup(...) with the
   data_files switch.  Can I avoid listing EVERY file somehow???
   Can I use a wildcard in the filename????

3. Will bdist_rpm install JUST pyc files (bytecode)???
   Will sdist     install JUST py (source) files???
   What about installing source and bytecode?? (py and pyc)??
   How do that and is THAT a good idea???

4. If I tell setup(...) I have a package somewhere with
   packages = ["..."]
   does that mean it will get ALL files in that directory without
   me having to specify them individually??

   What if I want to OMIT a file like the CVS directory?!?!

Thanks!

Chris

--

Christian Seberino, Ph.D.