[Distutils] Timeframe of 2.0 again?

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com
Mon Oct 27 09:23:40 EST 2003

From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal at lemburg.com]
> Not so: in that case we'd have to keep in sync with at
> least 5 different versions of distutils deployed out there.

I'm sure I am missing something, so please forgive me if I'm
labouring the obvious, but can't you retain all your current
build environments (Python 1.5.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3) and when
2.4 comes out just add that, and only use the new distutils
with 2.4?

[I'm wondering - is the thing I'm missing that you're using a
single shared distutils with all of the Python versions? I
can't see how that would work...]

Or are you worried about setup.py not working with both the old
and new distutils? That's a valid issue, but I'd assume that
the new distutils would have to be careful not to break
compatibility with old setup.py files.

Once again, apologies if I'm being dense. My experience of
distributing Python modules is nothing compared to yours, and
I don't mean to imply that I think your concerns are invalid.
I'm just interested in understanding the issue I've missed, so
that I don't fall into the trap of assuming things are simpler
than they really are :-)

Paul