[Distutils] How can I create prebuilt distributions?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Feb 14 03:41:01 2003

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> writes:
>>I want to create binary packages (i.e. packages that are usable if the
>>end-user doesn't have a development environment). For now I'm happy
>>with something that works on Unix (MacOSX to be specific).

This is basically what ActiveState does with their .ppm format:
they ship a tarred build directory and then run something like
"python setup.py install" on the target machine.

At some point way back in time they wanted to make this code
available to Python for general usage, but it seems they have
lost interest (in so many things :-().

So at least you now know that it does work :-)

distutils is your friend and can be tweaked to do many new things.
Thomas already hinted at a solution. I'd just create my own
bdist_prebuilt and include the needed distutils extensions right
along with it.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 14 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     46 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       130 days left