[Distutils] compiling extension modules with 'make'

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sun Aug 24 01:45:15 EDT 2003

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I'v repeatedly tried to convert build systems of my python projects
> to distutils. As they contain C++ extensions with non-trivial
> build commands, I failed to get these modules to compile using
> the default 'Extension(...)' mechanism.
>
> I'm now wondering what ways exist to extend distutils such that
> I can hook up to the old autoconf/make based builds for individual
> extension modules without the need for manual intervention.
>
> I'v seen some packages derive from distutils classes such as
> distutils.core.Distribution (for example the 4Suite tool) but
> that looks quite complex so I'm looking for either a simpler
> way, or some reference manual explaining how to get started.
>
> Any hints / links are highly appreciated !

If you're looking for examples on how this can be done,
have a look at mxSetup.py in the egenix-mx-experimental
package -- that package builds C libraries which are then
used by Python wrappers in C.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 24 2003)