[Distutils] lineendings

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon Dec 16 06:16:01 2002

On Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002, at 21:55 Europe/Amsterdam, M.-A. Lemburg
wrote:

>> well it certainly does in python-2.2.2 and there's pep 278 which seems
>> to be concerned as well.
>> Try entering import a, \
>> in mac format and then execute on a windows box. I see the following
>> C:\>\tmp\ttt.py
>>   File "C:\tmp\ttt.py", line 1
>>     rlextrareportlab,\
>>                                  ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid token
>
> Interesting. That must be related to Macs only, though, because
> I move around between Windows and Unix on a regular basis and
> have so far never had any problem with line ends.

If Python 2.2 and later are the only platforms of interest then you can
use unix
lineendings, and all Pythons will be happy. MacPython 2.2 has a "poor
mans universal
newlines" feature, where it recognizes unix lineendings (but *not*
windows
lineendings) on any text file. And 2.3 has universal newline support on
all
platforms.
Goldman