[Distutils] help with gcc-3.1

Mats Wichmann mats@laplaza.org
Mon Aug 19 11:32:05 2002

At 07:46 AM 8/19/2002 -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
 >apparantly one of my modules in pygame doesn't work correctly with gcc-3.1
 >unless it has a special "-lgcc_s" added to the linker. is there any way i
 >can detect this through the compiler classes?

Hmmm.  The use of certain bits of C++ that triggers this need
should be detected by gcc.  I've usually found the problem to
be the inverse one: compiling with gcc 3.x may inntroduce an
unexpected dependency on libgcc_s making the binary somewhat
less portable as it won't run on a system without a libgcc_s.
It's a nasty hack but apparently necessary to get correct behavior...

Although now that I think further about it, it's not clear that
the automatic behavior I mention above would be triggered by
the linking of a shared library, if that's the way the
module is presented.