[Distutils] Post-install scripts

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Mon Mar 12 07:26:00 2001

> Is there a convention for shipping post-install scripts through
> distutils? We've taken the route of simply shipping the setup.py with
> the PPM. Pre- or post- or even mid-install commands can go in that
> script. I'd like to know what the other bdist_*'s do. I see something
> about an install_script in the RPM one but I don't understand it well
> enough to know what it is really doing.

install_script is a standard distutils command. Distutils installs
these components:
install_lib - pure python modules plus extension modules
install_data - data files
install_scripts - python files to be used as scripts
install_headers - header files for extension modules

So install_scripts has nothing to do with the installation process.

> Even though Python PPM is only a week old, we've already taken advantage
> of this feature to install packages that have both Python and Perl
> components. I'd like to use a shared convention so that module authors
> can depend upon it. "Good" bdist_ commands should have a way to launch a
> post-install script. The same should go for uninstall...

I plan to support this in a new version of bdist_wininst.

Thomas