[Distutils] Re: [4suite] Re: Compiling 4Suite 0.10.2beta on Windows

Sun Feb 18 05:21:00 2001

> I wouldn't say that using Cygwin is a bad idea -- I'd rather state that
> if you do so then your extension is dependent on Cygwin's POSIX emulation
> layer (i.e., cygwin1.dll) and that you need Cygwin Python to execute it.

That's what I meant - if you have an MSVC-built Python, than a
cygwin-built extension probably won't work, will it?

> However, Python 2.1a2 builds OOTB under Cygwin and supports both the
> traditional (i.e. Misc/Makefile.pre.in) and distutils methods of
> building shared extensions.

That's good to hear. So what about using Cygwin to build
distutils-made extensions when the Python installation was built with
MSVC?

Regards,
Martin