[Distutils] Re: [4suite] Re: Compiling 4Suite 0.10.2beta on Windows

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Sat Feb 17 13:55:01 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> > OK, let's phrase it differently. How do you build the 4Suite windows
> > installer when time comes for a release ?
>
> Maybe I'm confusing something, but for PyXML, I build the installer
> with
>
>   python setup.py bdist_wininst

OK, I misworded my question. Actually, this may be a distutils-sig
question, so I crosspost to the distutils ML.

I tried running bdist_wininst on my linux box, and this failed, because
"distribution contains extensions and/or C libraries; must be compiled on
a Windows 32 platform".

So I switched to a Win32 box, and ran bdist_wininst, and it failed too
because I could non find CL.EXE. What is CL.EXE? I suppose it is a
compiler, so it is probably the MS compiler from Visual Studio. Can anyone
confirm this? Is it possible to use mingw's gcc or cygwin's to build
python extensions on windows?

TIA

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).