[Distutils] Headers files

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Wed Aug 15 02:57:27 2001

Sophie Coon wrote:

> Hi ,
> I am pretty new with distutils and I am using it for creating source
> distibution of my packages. I don't understand why distutils doesn't
> include automatically headers files needed for extension modules ?
> Thanks for any feed back.
> Sophie

Distutils doesn't know which header files are needed by your code.

May be we should think about some kind of parser which extracts
all #include lines from the code. You could safely ignore any
#defines and #ifdef, because for a source distribution any possible
#include must be considered. This parsing had to be done in a
recursive way. And when we know all header files, we could
add any header files which resides in the directory of setup.py
or in one of its sub directories to the MANIFEST file.

What does the other people at this mailing list think of such
an extension? (It had to be put in the get_source_files methods
of build_clib and build_ext.)

Kind regards
Rene Liebscher