[Distutils] Another requested feature (with patch)

John J. Lee phrxy@csv.warwick.ac.uk
Sat Apr 7 13:00:59 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Robert Kern wrote:

> * add a --skip-build option to the bdist, bdist_dumb, and bdist_wininst
>   commands. This is necessary when trying to build on Windows with mingw32
>   since the plain bdist_* commands will try to rebuild with MSVCCompiler.
>   I have a patch that seems to work with the dumb formats and Windows
>   installer. I didn't quite grok the bdist_rpm code, so I don't quite
>   know how to work it in there.
>
>   The patch is attached. I can put it on the Sourceforge Patch Manager
>   if someone likes.

Shouldn't there instead be a -c (--compiler) option to build and install?
This makes sense, and is neater.  I think this was discussed here before
at some point, but I don't remember if anything was decided.

John