[Distutils] borland compiler

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu Sep 28 14:37:02 2000

Which distutils version are you using?

> i'm trying to get borland's free commandline compiler
> working with a sample module i'm testing with.
>
> everything goes fine in the compile, but the linker is
> giving me the following error:
>

> Error: 'D:\PYTHON\LIBS\PYTHON20.LIB' contains invalid
>     OMF record, type 0x21 (possibly COFF)

Just at this moment I'm looking into this issue (currently
for MSVC, soon for Borland).

> ok, sounds like the python20.lib is incompatible with
> borland's compiler (??). if so, that seems like a big
> pain. does anyone have the steps needed to get this
> compiler working? i've not found any help from the
> docs or source yet. i'm guessing i'll need to recompile
> python with borland? (i didn't think that was an option?)
No, bcpp contains an utility to convert OMF to COFF,
so you should be able to generate a valid library.

The real problem seems to be that distutils currently has
problems with library names, so this issue will have to be fixed.

> perhaps i'm better off going with cygnus or mingw? what
> is the most common free win32 compiler for use with distutils?

MSVC (which is the best compiler for win32), can be freely
downloaded from MS if you don't care for (very) large downloads.
There was a thread yesterday on c.l.p about this.

Thomas