[Distutils] First steps with distutils...

Harry Henry Gebel hgebel@inet.net
Sat Sep 2 11:46:11 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 11:49:56AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> * bdist_rpm fails with an error in the rpm command (the source
>   rpm is built, but it fails to build to the binary rpm for
>   some reason -- it says, that it can't find the file ??);
>   do I need some new rpm release for this to work ?

bdist_rpm requires RPM version 3, there was some discussion about
supporting RPM 2; but it did not seem practical to me to support RPM 2 in a
way that would work across different RPM based platforms. It probably would
not be hard to make it produce version 2 spec files, but the packager would
then have to build them outside of the Distutils.

> * the bdist commands don't compile the .py files into .pyo
>   but this is needed in order to use them with python -O

There were some attempts made to do this, but none has been satisfactory.

> * how can I define the compiler settings for extension
>   compilation (it defaults to -m486 for RPMs -- -mcpu=pentium
>   would be more appropriate; default for standard bdist
>   seems to be -O2 and no architecture) ?

The compiler options for RPMs are set by RPM (using CFLAGS) not by
Distutils, you can change these by modifying your RPM configuration (the
exact modifications depend on which version of RPM you are using.)
Otherwise you can use CFLAGS to set them, I think they can be set in
setup.py, but I'm not sure about that.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS        ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware