[Distutils] Pondering multi-package packages

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 10:14:33 +0200

Greg Ward wrote:

> On 27 May 2000, M.-A. Lemburg said:
> > It would probably be wise to have one setup.py file per ZIP
> > archive. The ZIP archives have predefined content and the setup.py
> > files could have this information hard-coded somewhere.
>
> Good point.  Does this mean I don't have to worry about recursive setup
> scripts after all?  ;-)

Not for me anymore ;-)

> > I would have to move away from my current installation logic
> > though (simply unzipping and then compiling in place). With
> > distutils help this shouldn't be much of a problem though
> > (I hope ;-).
>
> Yes, please do!  The idea of having to unpack a distribution archive in
> a particular place has always deeply offended me; the fact that more
> than one Python module distributor thought this was a good idea is one
> of the things that motivated me to do the Distutils in the first place.
> IOW, forcing you to build in one place and install to another place is a
> feature.

I've always found that kind of setup convenient (and I've
only gotten about 2-3 complaints about this in all the years
the mx stuff has been around).

With distutils I can finally get those 3 guys happy too ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg