[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] Where to install non-code files

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 26 May 2000 09:30:29 -0400

On 26 May 2000, Guido van Rossum said:
> Modifyable data needs to go in a per-user directory, even on Windows,
> outside the Python tree.
>
> But static data needs to go in the same directory as the module that
> uses it.  (We use this in the standard test package, for example.)

What about the Distutils system config file (pydistutils.cfg)?  This is
something that should only be modified by the sysadmin, and sets the
site-wide policy for building and installing Python modules.  Does this
belong in the code directory?  (I hope so, because that's where it goes
now...)

(Under Unix, users can have a personal Distutils config file that
overrides the system config (~/.pydistutils.cfg), and every module
distribution can have a setup.cfg that overrides both of them.  On
Windows and Mac OS, there are only two config files: system and
per-distribution.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376