[Distutils] new build_scripts patch

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 23 May 2000 23:05:19 -0400

On 24 May 2000, Bastian Kleineidam said:
> >> - install_misc is now the base class for all install commands
> install_misc is now removed since install_scripts and install_data both
> changed. No need of a common base class any more

Whoops, you may have gone too far!  (Or maybe not: I haven't looked at
the patch yet, this is just an off-the-cuff reply.)  One more "simple"
install command definitely needs to be added: "install_headers", which
would put C header files into <prefix>/python1.x/include/<package_name>.
This is essential for NumPy, PIL, CXX, and any other Python/C/C++
packages that are used by *other* extensions.  I suspect
"install_headers" would have a lot in common with "install_data".

Can you resubmit your patch with install_misc intact, but loudly commented as
"currently unused" so I don't forget about it?

Thanks --

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - programmer-at-large                         gward@python.net