[Distutils] Supporting Borland's compiler

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:23:36 -0400

[me, proposing a new 'temp_dir' attribute for CCompiler and friends]
> I think the right thing to do is add a 'temp_dir' attribute to
> CCompiler.  (I see no reason to allow overriding this in every method.)
> Currently this would not gain much, just the ability to move a bit of
> the MSVC-specific code out of build_ext.py (specifically, the stuff that
> generates the /IMPLIB: option).  But if it's necessary to support
> Borland's compiler cleanly, I'm willing to do it.
[...]

[Lyle enthusiastically agrees]
> Yes, this sounds great! Anxiously awaiting the next CVS update...

OK, but it'll have to wait -- I'm currently in the throes of making
config files a reality at last.  Lots of upheaval involved, surprise
surprise.  Also, I started implementing my proposed 'temp_file'
semantics only to discover a fly in the ointment.  Now I can't even
remember if it was just a harmless little housefly or a great bug-eyed
blood-sucking poisonous monster.  I'll get back to it when the config
file stuff is done... in the meantime, keep on "cvs up"'ing ...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - "always the quiet one"                      gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/