[Distutils] Where to find config files

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 9 May 2000 00:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Ward writes:
 > Anyone else give a hoot?

  Another possibility is to only install the file if it doesn't
already exist, which would be my preference.
  The $prefix/lib/python1.X/ directory doesn't currently contain much
in the way of data files; it can contain .pth files, but those are
normally in $prefix/lib/python1.5/site-packages/.  That may not be a
bad location for it, but I'm not really comfortable with using that
for misc. configuration files.  Placing it there would also imply that
the file is site-specific, which isn't a bad thing in this case.  It
could be called distutils.conf.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>