[Distutils] distutils & Borland's free compiler

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Sat, 6 May 2000 09:19:55 -0400

On 05 May 2000, Lyle Johnson said:
> Their support for building Python extensions under Windows is currently
> limited to Microsoft Visual C++. I'd like to work-up a new module for
> the distutils which would also the support use of Borland's C++
> compiler, based on your instructions (and with all appropriate credits,
> of course). Had you planned to look at that, or do you know if anyone
> else is? I obviously don't want to duplicate anyone else's efforts...

Excellent!  Please do it!  I assume you are aware that the starting
point is msvccompiler.py; let me just *strongly* encourage you to
refactor common code out of the MSVCCompiler class and
whatever-you-write (BorlandCCompiler?) rather than submitting a patch
with lots of overlapping code.

Thanks in advance!

        Greg
--