[Distutils] Compiling / Installing extensions

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:37:03 +0000

The Numeric package itself has _numpy which exports lots of things.

I don't seriously object to changing sysconfig.py. Go ahead. Since the
.pyd only gets done in sysconfig it follows that
_shared_lib_ext = '.pyd' in msvccompiler doesn't get used so then it
follows that shared_library_filename isn't being used properly.

I say go for the -Z7 debugging mode. I would point out that this is
essentially a legacy mode for M$ as it represents C7.0 (the CodeView
era) and as with all legacy things it will be withdrawn as and when Bill
sees fit.

I can only find one output location option /out: and it seems that as
soon as you specify one export that .lib and .exp files get created
alongside the output file. So the new logic should be that the compiler
shoves its .obj files into temp and the linker intially does likewise.
A final stage copies wanted files .pyd .lib into the platlib.winnt.x86
or whatever.

can we have a keep list which defaults to .pyd, but can be added to by
an option. Then _numpy could add .lib

As a final note; if you want to have a single temp area, we need
different object extensions eg .obj and .dobj for optimised and debug
versions.
--
Robin Becker