[Distutils] Compiling / Installing extensions

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 11:21:34 +0100

> Key question for the Window guys: is it possible to make MSVC++ put .exp
> files in a separate directory from the .pyd files produced at the same
> time?  If not, that doesn't invalidate the above scheme, it just makes
> it slightly less useful -- MSVCCompiler will still have to delete the
> .exp (and other compiler/linker turds) after creating a .pyd.
Yes, the /implib:build\temp\mymodule.lib
puts the .lib AND the .exp files in a certain directory.
So build_ext (or whatever) can prune the temp-directory.

> Ugh.  OK, here's a deal: I'll put in the infrastructure for supporting a
> "--debug" flag if you guys will figure out how to make it work with
> MSVC++.  Fair enough?
Fair enough. I'm waiting for your patch.

> > We should drop the line
> >     self.add_library ( "python" + sys.version[0] + sys.version[2] )
> > in msvccompiler.py.
>
> Absoposidefinutely yes!  I guess by my evolving standard, that should go
> in the MSVC-specific code in build_ext.py.
It is NOT NEEDED at all!
The correct pythonxxx.lib will automatically be included on windows.

Thomas