[Distutils] distutils on hpux

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:56:32 -0500

On 26 January 2000, Stephen Walton said:
> Using the 0.1.2 release, all the tests fail, basically because "from
> sysconfig import AR" fails.  Where should that come from?  It appears it
> should be in the config.h set up when I built Python, but I can't find it.

For the record (ie. for the list archive and collective benefit of the
SIG), here's how this one was resolved: Stephen rebuilt and reinstalled
Python.  It turns out that his $exec_prefix/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile
was the wrong file; it looks to me as though it was generated from
$exec_prefix/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in.  The only way I can
see this happening is if someone runs "make -f Makefile.pre.in" *right
in the $exec_prefix/lib/python1.5/config directory* -- which of course
they're not supposed to do, but there's nothing stopping them from doing
it.  Oops.

Anyways, a Python reinstall put the proper Makefile into the config
directory, and now all is well for Stephen.  Hooray.  I feel like a
Microsoft tech support weenie -- "just reinstall and everything will be
Just Fine".

        Greg