[Distutils] The "dist" command

Mikael Lyngvig mikael@pobox.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:41:24 +0200

> Interesting project.

And shouldn't be that hard given Python already has built-in regular
expressions, etc.

>I don't know if you know that TomC has a similar project for Perl:
http://language.perl.com/ppt/

I almost see it as a question of personal integrity to NOT know what the
Perl dudes are doing :)  Shame on me!  Perl is probably the greatest
competitor to Python, so one should now - and try to give Python something
better.

> I like the notion of a module w/ functions as opposed to just getopt
parsing.

Yes, but Greg pointed out a severe short-coming (and I found one more:
keyword args don't preserve the order of the options), so it would have to
be a list of options, or even a simple command-line string, so there's not
much difference.

-- Mikael