[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] relative package imports, version numbering, yadda yadda

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:09:07 -0400

> So I started looking around at the versions and dates of various copies of
> asynchat.py.  Here's what I found:
>
>     source		version number:date	owner
>     Python 1.5.2	1.2:1999/06/18		guido
>     Python CVS		1.2:1999/06/18		guido
>     Zope 1.?		1.7:1999/04/09		amos
>     Zope 2.0		1.9:1999/07/19		amos
>     Medusa 990902	2.24:1999/07/07		rushing
>
> What's apparently been happening is that people have picked up asyncore and
> asynchat at various time and stuck them in their own CVS repositories
> without somehow freezing the Id string of the version they originally got
> from Sam Rushing.  It's not clear what the differences are until you compare
> the actual files.  It turns out that the Zope 2.0 and Medusa versions have
> no content differences, only wildly different version numbers.  The Medusa
> and Python CVS versions only have one difference:
>
>     if index > 0:
>     	# don't bother reporting the empty string (source of subtle bugs)
>     	self.collect_incoming_data (self.ac_in_buffer[:index])
>
> which *may* be what's causing my problems (note the IndexError in my
> traceback).

My bad.  I despise putting RCS identifiers in code I release, but I
don't always freeze them before incorporating other people's code in
my CVS tree.  I will fix this if I can and I promise to try not to
repeat this mistake in the future.