[Distutils] Random bits

Michael P. Reilly arcege@shore.net
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:12:30 -0500 (EST)

> On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> [schnipp]
> >     * Building a distribution: it creates hard links to files.
> > This means that if you delete a file and rebuild the dist without
> > erasing the hard-link-filled subdir, the deleted file is still present
> > in the distribution.  It's probably easiest to blow away the whole
> > <product>-<version> directory, rather than attempting to scan its
> > contents and update it.
>
> Yes! I spent a frustrating few minutes trying to work out why files I was
> trying to exclude from the distribution were turning up in the tarball...
>
> Also, excluding files from the dist in general is a pain.
>
> I have bytecodehacks in CVS; I don't want to distribute the CVS folders. I
> found no way to do this except building the MANIFEST file using a shell
> script (which kind of defeats the point of the manifest, I'd have
> thought).

Try using cvs export (requires a tag, but you should be tagging your
code for release anyway).  Only the files with the tag will be
exported; it is far easier to "remove" files from the release.  You can
still use the manifest to restrict the files as needed.

Also, from a release management point-of-view, you shouldn't be
releasing code from your work area.

  -Arcege

| Michael P. Reilly, Release Engineer | Email: arcege@shore.net        |
| Salem, Mass. USA  01970             |                                |