[Distutils] Add multiple frozen modules

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:59:26 -0400

[Hmm....  Jim looks at clock and wonders what Mark
 is doing down in Australia in the middle of the night...]

Mark Hammond wrote:

> I get the impression freeze is dieing.  It is dieing in favour of
> techniques that avoid requiring a C compiler and allow an even more generic
> concept of where "frozen" code can come from.  Although avoiding the C
> compiler is particularly attractive on Windows (where users can't be
> assumed to have one), it offers a number of other benefits on all
> platforms.  Specifically, Greg Stien and Gordon McMillan (and plenty of
> people before them :-) seem to have what is considered "state of the art"
> in where this is heading.

I don't know of techniques which aren't Windows specific.  Greg??
Gordon??

> I dont think you will find many people arguing either way on this.  My only
> comment is that re Point 2: PyImport_ExtendInittab() is indeed able to give
> the functionality you describe.

I don't think so.  It adds to the list of available compiled-in
modules, so that were they imported, they would be available for import.
But the problem is how to get them imported.  In particular, "__main__"
would never be called unless it were explicitly a frozen module.  The
list of frozen modules PyImport_FrozenModules is not the same as
PyImport_Inittab.  Actually, I am not sure how to solve this even
in my current code, except in a Windows-specific way.

> Re point 1:  This is possible (or nearly :) for Windows freeze
> builds, but AFAIK not for Unix builds, so this definately seems worthwhile.

Jim Ahlstrom