[Distutils] The $0.02 of a packager ;-)

Oliver Andrich olli@rhein-zeitung.de
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:12:35 +0100

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 06:09:51PM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
> There are some possible partial solutions: list C libraries that this
> module depends on, and if a test program compiles and links, it's
> there.  Ditto for header files.  But testing versions?  Things more
> complicated than normal C libraries?  You'd need a way for developers to
> supply chunks of test C code, just the way autoconf does it... ugh...

Well, I think we can go two ways here. First we try to cover each and every
detail with the distutils but this seems to be way to much, or we can provide
what I believe is the core of the distutils, and which is clearly described in
the proposed interface. (With slight motifications of course. ;-)

I know what I have written before but after having some time to think about
it, I decided that we should add a meta level information, that looks
something like that

setup.py meta --requierments

and which prints a free form text written by the developer where he states,
what things he needs. As an installer and packager you should be capable to
tell if your system satisfies the requirements.

Bye, Oliver Andrich

--
Oliver Andrich, RZ-Online, Schlossstrasse Str. 42, D-56068 Koblenz
Telefon: 0261-3921027 / Fax: 0261-3921033 / Web: http://rhein-zeitung.de