[Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

David Ascher da@ski.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:13:06 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:

> David Ascher writes:
> >The hard thing will probably be to support all of the things which Windows
> >developers expect, such as the ability to have Debug and Release builds
> >(and CE builds, and ...).
>
> Is it really necessary for people to develop their code using
> Distutils, as opposed to developing in their preferred environment and
> then wrapping things up for distribution?  If I was debugging a C
> module, I don't think I'd bother compiling it through the distutils;
> more likely I'd just write a Makefile.pre.in and Setup.in.

I doubt it's *necessary* but I agree with the sentiment that if you're
going to be setting up the set of relationships between files, it'd be
*nice* to be able to do it just once and have it work for both development
& distribution.  If you want to write code which is being developed on two
operating systems at once, it can get tedious to maintain both the
Makefile & project files.

I do agree that this is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, and if
I were in charge, I'd put it off until 1.1 =).

--david