[Distutils] Anonymous CVS up-and-running

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:43:59 -0500 (EST)

John Skaller writes:
 > I have done this, it is about 5 minutes work for a makefile
 > expert. It took me half a day to get working properly :-)

  Cool.  Send Guido a patch and rationale as to why it should be in
the standard distribution.  Frankly, the reason to install pythonpp is
lost on me.

 >         To start with, may I suggest _private_ variables which
 > are not really required for sysconfig, be renamed in the makefile
 > to some convention, such as a leading underscore: these can be
 > ignored by the sysconfig parser as implementation details.

  No.  What's in the Makefile is there for the Makefile's use.  If we
don't need part of it, it can be ignored.
  Many make variables have a long history, and should not be renamed.
CFLAGS definately qualifies!

 >         Huh? The code in the CVS archive is wrong (for my system).
 > It creates a directory name using '/usr/local/lib/python1.5/'
 > which is NOT where config.h is installed. It is installed in

  What's the variable/constant that has this wrong?  I don't see
"config.h" in the values.

 > the interface, it simplifies it. There are two categories
 > of information, and they come from separate sources.
 > The data strucure should surely reflect this?

  The specific sources are, in this case, not indicative of useful
categories.

 >         I think each source of data should be separate,
 > including the makefile info and the autoconf info.

  The Makefile includes information generated by the configure script;
that's a significant part of what configure does.
  *Parsing* the different source types can be intelligently separated;
the usefulness of the separation is still open to debate.  It doesn't
hurt, and is done in the patch I sent earlier.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191