[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:27:11 -0500 (EST)

John Skaller writes:
 >         I don't think that is really my point.
 > I'm interested in a STANDARD, not just good documentation.

  Until Guido says otherwise, the standard documentation *is* the
standard.  If it isn't clear, well, <DocumentorsHat> I'm always open
to specific suggestions and patches </DocumentorsHat>.  I'm not being
defensive here, I don't think, but the documentation has always been
the standard for Python.  Where there are holes, the implementation is
the standard.

 > language specification. I want to be shown wrong
 > about the library (when I am), the same way.

  Was the above paragraph sufficient?  ;-)

 >         Because it requires testing every single
 > function in the whole system before using
 > anything. Because there is no definitive specification
 > of what might work or not. Do you see?

  No.  The presence of the function is sufficient.  If the underlying
system calls don't work as described (where that's an issue), there is
either a bug in the documentation or a bug in the syscall
implementation.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191