[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:58:57 -0500 (EST)

John Skaller writes:
 >         This depends on knowing where the makefile and
 > the config file are. Which suggest a further factorisation:

  Ok, I've modified distutils.sysconfig to contain:

	get_config_h_filename()
	get_makefile_filename()
	parse_config_h(fileobject, g=None)
	parse_makefile(fileobject, g=None)

  Note that the parse_*() routines take a file object instead of a
filename, and the dictionary to update may be passed in.  If no
dictionary is provided a new one is used.  However the dict is
obtained, it is returned by the function.
  Equivalents for non-Unix platforms are still needed; has anyone
thought about Windows or Mac platforms?  I think the current
implementation is fine for BeOS; can someone who uses the BeOS port
confirm?  NeXT users might want to pipe up as well!

 >         def get_config():
 >                 dict = parse_config_h(get_config_h_filename())
 >                 dict.update(parse_config_h(get_makefile_filename()))
 >                 return dict

  I passed on this for now.  I think the cross-platform issues need to
be explored more.

 > Again, this factorisation simplifies the design, and also
 > creates added functionality.

  This I agree with.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191