[Distutils] Access to Python config info

John Skaller skaller@maxtal.com.au
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:16:58 +1000

At 11:11 16/12/98 -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
>Quoth John Skaller, on 17 December 1998 [on whether the config module
>should be builtin or a separate .py file]:
>>         I don't see any real choice: it has to be separate AND editable.
>> Because if I download a binary Windows version, the information will be wrong
>> for my system. The Unix version might be wrong too: perhaps I built
>> Python with gcc, but I want to build extensions with ecgs, or with edg.
>
>There are a number of reasons why you don't want to do this, and it all
>boils down to the fact that in the C world you cannot reliably link two
>object files if one was compiled with compiler X and the other with
>compiler Y.

        I agree: this is a valid point.

>Anyways, these all constitute reasons for *strong recommendations*
>against fiddling with the compiler or flags.  I'll concede that someone
>who *really* knows what they're doing should be allowed to do this (but
>they should also have to sign a disclaimer first ;-).

        I think you are missing the point here: if the configuration
doesn't work, the client has NO CHOICE but to edit it.
And if it isn't editable, the client has NO CHOICE, full stop.
Now, you don't want to leave the client without options, in
case something as complex as configuring a compiler fails, do you?

        At least, they should be able to ask for help on the
newsgroup, and edit the file with help from experts, shouldn't they?
John Skaller    email: skaller@maxtal.com.au
		http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
		phone: 61-2-96600850
		snail: 10/1 Toxteth Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Australia