[Distutils] Configuration etc.

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:57:16 +0100

> I would like to add another, somewhat win/mac-centric twist:
>
>   - making installers of Python & add-ons.
>
> More specifically: i'm working on a program which is going to use Python,
> Tk, PIL, OpenGL, NumPy, Pmw, and some custom code.  I'd like to be able to
> make a single installer which installed all of those parts, not
> necessarily frozen.

The package installer we are currently discussing could handle that as
well - almost. It should in any case be possible to install several
packages at the same time; otherwise packages with circular
dependencies could not be installed at all. So if the installer could
also treat an archive of packages (in whatever convenient format),
it would be easy to set up distributions of multiple packages.

The reason I said "almost" is that the Python interpreter must always
be there first. At least for Unix, I see no way around this, and for
other platforms I don't know. And (again for Unix) I don't think
anyone would object to install two things for some application.

Konrad.