[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:52:32 -0500

Quoth Greg Stein, on 17 December 1998:
> > P.S. I would like to suggest one coding standard for the project: every
> > source file should have the name and email address of the person who
> > wrote it, the date it was started, and and RCS/CVS identifier of some
> > kind (I'm partial to $Id$ myself, but $Revision$ is also fine).  Any
> > objections?
>
> hehe... boy, you do like things in a particular way, don't you? Now I
> know where the version number stuff came from :-)

I am anal boy; hear me squeak!

Actually, I'm doing all this to convince the Python world that not *all*
people named Greg are left-coast long-haired anarchists.  ;-)^2

But seriously: is it *really* such a burden to put something like this:

#
# distutils/version.py
#
# Implements multiple version numbering conventions for the
# Python Module Distribution Utilities.
#
# written by Greg Ward <gward@cnri.reston.va.us>, 1998/12/17
#
# $Id$
#

in the top of a source file?  I don't think so, and it's especially
trivial compared to the time spent to write documentation and a test
suite.  (Which I'm also a fan of.  But I figured insisting on them would
just get me laughed off the sig, so I kept the request [name, date, RCS
id] pretty small.  I honestly didn't think even *you* would howl at
that... silly me!)

Which reminds me, by writing sysconfig.py Fred has shamed me into
writing version.py.  Should be available in that yet-to-be-created
anonymous CVS archive Real Soon Now.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                      voice: +1-703-620-8990 x287