[Distutils] Access to Python config info

Robin Friedrich friedrich@pythonpros.com
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:34:29 -0600

> From: Andrew M. Kuchling <akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us>

> 	I'd sum it up as: if it goes in the Python binary, sys.config
> is OK.  If it goes in an external .py file, sys.config is not OK, and
> I'd vote for sysconfig or some new package.
>
> >I'm torn on this one.  Building into Python prevents version skew,
> >keeping it separate means it's easily readable without writing code.
> >Both are compelling arguments.  Greg has given one voice in favour of a
> >separate .py file... anyone else?
>
> 	Go for the .py file, IMHO.

Another vote for impeac^H^H^H^H^H^Ha separate .py file to store this.
Mostly it's better since it allows tweaks to be made easily, (say the
installpath changes, or a new compiler), a hundred different little things
can happen at a local site. It'll also help during the development phases
of this tool to have visibility into what's actually happening.

--
Robin K. Friedrich     Houston, Texas