[Distutils] Version numbers for module distributions

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:31:04 -0800

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> So basically all that's needed is to be able to compare the version
> numbers of packages within a release sequence. It doesn't
> matter whether they use numbers and dots, words or dates.
>
> Trying to automate compatibility checks by only using version
> numbers isn't really a feasable approach, IMHO. This will always
> remain a manual and errorprone process...

I very much agree, which is why I posted my view on the rules we can use
for comparing them.

The code I posted returns tuples which should be directly comparable. I
believe they define a good ordering, but it would also take a bit of
review to see what happens when elements are inserted/removed (e.g. the
a2 at the end of 1.5.2a2)

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/