[Distutils] Version numbers for module distributions

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:30:27 -0800

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I don't think that a major version 0 does necessarily imply
> alpha status. Many Python extensions start their lifetime
> with 0.1 even though they could have started with 1.0 (I guess
> Pythoneers are attracted to understatement somehow).
>
> Likewise a change in the major number doesn't necessarily imply a
> change in the interface, e.g. a move from 0.9.9 to 1.0.0 may not include
> any changes at all.

Absolutely. When my mod_dav is ready, I'm going to change it from 0.9.x
to 1.0.0. No API changes, no user functionality changes.

It is bogus to have distutils try to proscribe rules of semantics to the
version numbering.

Cheers,
-g

--