[Distutils] DistUtils requirements

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:22:35 -0500 (EST)

Konrad Hinsen writes:
 > - Package installation via FTP/HTTP from a server. That may seem like
 >   a minor convenience, but once you realize how many system administrators
 >   don't know how to use FTP, it gains importance...

  This, in particular, seems to indicate that an additional script is
installed along with Python.
  What's been discussed so far is how to build/install an unpacked
distribution.  I think a wrapper around this that can retrieve and
unpack the distribution and then start the build/install operation on
it is useful as well.
  Such a script might even know about a registry for packages, so you
could ask it to load package spamandeggs, and it could go find the
latest version compatible with your version of Python, download it,
and install it.
  Sounds cool!
  Now we just need the registry and a real archive of packages.  And a
dependency system.  And a host with disk space for the archive.  ...
;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191