[DB-SIG] API 3.0 limiting paramstyle to ['named', 'qmark'] is okay. ('format' is not desirable)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed May 22 08:44:15 CEST 2013

M.-A. Lemburg wrote at 2013-5-21 21:07 +0200:
>I don't think that you often run into a situation where you
>pass around database connection objects between libraries.

If you drastically change things between version 2 and version 3
libraries, this may get more frequent:

  In a large system, you may have thousands of sql commands
  and it may be a heavy burden to adapt all of them
  from the version 2 to version 3 API. Thus, you may
  want to keep using a version 2 library for them.

  New (or updated) code, on the other hand, may want to
  use the new version 3 API.

  But, new and old code likely must work with the
  same database entities (tables) and therefore have a likely need to
  work in the same transaction. Transactions are now bound
  to a connection. Hence, one might want the same connection
  object for both version 2 and version 3 API.

--
Dieter