[DB-SIG] How to best connect to AS/400 for data

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Feb 24 22:35:10 CET 2010

Jim Steil wrote:
> I don't have a problem accessing AS400 data from python but I've been
> using pyodbc on my Windows systems.  But, I now want to move to linux
> for running my Python apps and would prefer to use SQLAlchemy to access
> my dbs.  So, I'm looking for a way to get SQLAlchemy talking to the 400.

You'd need SA support for the SQL dialect to get that working.
Perhaps there's a way to port the IBM SA driver to SA 0.5. There's
work underway to get mxODBC support into SA as well.

> mx.ODBC is a licensed product, isn't it?  I've tried it in the past, but
> would (of course) prefer to avoid the licensing costs.

Yes, it's a commercial product that we've maintained for the last
12-13 years and for which we provide commercial support.

Anyway, I was just trying to suggest a method that is known to
work and may save you a few days work :-)

Regards,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 24 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/