[DB-SIG] odbc module choices

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Sep 30 20:27:55 CEST 2007

On 2007-09-30 17:21, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Why are there 3 opensource odbc modules?
>
> and what are the differences between them?
>
>  From what I can tell, the stock odbc module doesn't implement some important
> functions, like Tables() and Columns().

mxODBC introduced those catalog methods.

Here's a run-down (totally unbiased, of course ;-):

The win32 odbc module is really old (it was one of the first database
modules written for Python and triggered the DB-API specification). It
only supports DB-API 1.0.

mxODBC was started in 1997 and maintained ever since. It triggered
DB-API spec 2.0 and implements it. mxODBC supports ODBC drivers on all
platforms where you can compile Python, including (but not limited to)
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, AIX and HP-UX.
It's actively supported&maintained by eGenix.

AFAIK, pyodbc has been in development for about a year. It's mostly a
Windows module, focusses on MS SQL Server and implements DB-API 2.0.

ceodbc has just been released. Can't say much about it.

Hope that helps,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 30 2007)