[DB-SIG] Reading DB2 on AIX in Python scripts

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Oct 24 11:12:06 CEST 2007

On 2007-10-24 06:03, James Briggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using pyodbc to connect to DB2 on an AS400.
> Different beast I know but this is successful provided you have the correct
> ODBC drivers installed for the flavour of DB2 on your PC.
>
> An example from my code, which returns a database connection:
>
> import pyodbc
>
> def connect_to_db2():
>     """
>     quick and dirty connect to db2
>     """
>     s='DRIVER={iSeries access ODBC Driver};SYSTEM=10.3.36.150;UID=%s;PWD=%s'
>     return
> connect_to_db(connect_str=s%('myuser','mypassword'),autocommit=True)
>
> db=connect_to_db2()
> c=db.cursor()
> #
> # insert working code here
> #
> c.close()
> db.close()
>
> I found the autocommit needs to be true for our flavour of DB2, this may not
> be the case with DB2 on AIX which has proper rollbacks and commits.

Not sure why you would need auto commit to be true. In fact, you
only rarely want to *not* use transactions with a database (it's
one of the most important features in database programming).

You will also want to define a system data source on the machine
your running the above code on, instead of passing the driver
details to the Windows ODBC Manager directly. This makes your
code both more portable and creates fewer issues with Windows
permission management.

With mxODBC you can connect to a DB2 running on AS400
using this driver for Windows:

    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/windows/

Or this driver if you want to connect from Linux:

    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/linux/

Both work reliably with transactions and have been in use
for many years by quite a few mxODBC users.

However, David was looking for a solution that runs on AIX, so
all this doesn't really help him :-)  Then again, mxODBC works
on AIX as well...

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 24 2007)