[DB-SIG] (slightly off topic) Very Large Database recommendations?

Federico Di Gregorio fog at initd.org
Thu Oct 4 12:17:57 CEST 2007

Il giorno gio, 04/10/2007 alle 11.16 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg ha scritto:
> > I suppose that python is not really relevant to the question since
> it
> > would be a web database service where the client is python.
> >
> > Right now I am interested in getting an idea of how much such a
> system
> > would cost, and where to look for solutions.
> >
> > Any ideas where I could look for information relevant to this
> question?
>
> The table size doesn't look all that big. Any of Oracle, DB2 or
> even PostgreSQL should be able to handle it.

If I remeber correctly I once got an email from a US hospital that was
using PostgreSQL + psycopg to store medical data and full images into
the database. They had millions of lines and were about to buy a 6TB SAN
for the storage. You would be quite safe with 1,000,000 rows and 1TB of
data.

federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio                         http://people.initd.org/fog
Debian GNU/Linux Developer                                fog at debian.org
INIT.D Developer                                           fog at initd.org
                             Best friends are often failed lovers. -- Me