[DB-SIG] DB / Python rights determination question.

S. D. Rose s_david_rose at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:45:04 CET 2006

Hello All.  I'm building an application in wxPython.  I'd like to load some
global variables for the workers' PCs from a MySQL db already being used to
hold the data.  I want to persist a list of web addressees, a percentage
rate, and a few other options needed.   Since I'm using MySQL as a db
already, I don't see the point of saving these on one station as a config
file, and pushing out to all PCs, rather, they can query the GlobalConfigs
table upon startup, and have a truly central configuration.

I'd like to have some rights associated with the setting and modifying of
these fields.  My questions are:

1)  How can I determine if a field requires a certain 'rights' level prior
to actually trying to do the db update / insert / delete, so I can either
enable / disable the SET button?
2)  Provided that the logged-in user does NOT have these rights, can I have
a temporary login as a manager to set/reset the field, then revert back to
the logged-in user to continue with the transaction (think a manager in a
grocery store going up to the register to use their 'Manager's Key' to
over-ride a function that the store doesn't want just any clerk to do at any
time ...)

I'm so new to MySQL that this could be really easy and obvious, but I'm
task-based right now, as opposed to being able to learn in the path that
presents itself to me now.

I really appreciate any help this NG can offer!!!!
Thanks!

-Dave
Stamford, CT  USA