[DB-SIG] cx_Oracle - any way to change the user of a connection?

Harald Armin Massa haraldarminmassa at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 12:37:01 CEST 2006

Andy,

thanks for takeing the time to explain it fully. Especially your explanation
of that Oracle way of the world is very helpfull.

Technically no. The definition of a connection to an Oracle database is
> the user you connect as and the database you connect to. Change one or
> the other and you have a different connection.

If it is any consolation it's an Oracle thing and nothing to do with the
> implementation of cx_Oracle.

Yes. I suspected this allready. Just it's is usually more helpfull to ask
Pythonistas :)

I can't help but think that this would get very confusing very fast.

Confisung at least :)

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve in your
> application, the overheads for creating a fresh connection are fairly
> light (on the client side at least ;-) but it's generally bad form to
> change users on the fly like that in the Oracle world.

Propably because I came from an earlier Oracle Client ... creating a fresh
connection across a wlan took up to 6 seconds, which is TOO much in a web
application.

I have to be connected as the real user because I work with a given database
structure, and the user is put into some history information.

Thank you very much! Going to build fresh connection, if it is not quick
enough I cache them on a per user basis.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare