[DB-SIG] Database Abstraction in Python

Chris Cogdon chris at cogdon.org
Sat Apr 16 01:15:38 CEST 2005

On Apr 15, 2005, at 15:56, James Gardner wrote:

> Chris Cogden Wrote:
>> "any attempt to create a abstraction system that covers all
>> application requirements AND all database implementations is doomed
>> to failure, or mediocrity."
>
> Well, see what you think of this one.. it doesn't cover ALL
> requirements but I and others using the python web modules have used
> it in commercial projects and found it to be useful.
>
> It supports SQLite, MySQL and has a pure Python implementation as a
> fallback if you don't have a database engine (easyish to support
> another database).

Well, feel free to sauté my own words and feed them to me :) A good
test would be to start porting it to a few more database
implementations. Oracle or some ODBC-based connection would be great,
but I don't have access to that. I can try for PostgreSQL if you like
(via pyPgSQL or psycopg) if you like. Does it come with a bunch of unit
tests ?

--
    ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris at cogdon.org>