[DB-SIG] cx_Oracle doesn't like me

Manus Hand manus.hand at sapereon.com
Mon Jan 19 20:06:08 EST 2004

On Linux:

>>> import cx_Oracle

>>> cx_Oracle.connect('user', pwd', 'hostStr')

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?

RuntimeError: Unable to acquire Oracle environment handle

The 'user', 'pwd', and 'hostStr' are all correct, as verified thru
sqlplus.

The only thing I found about this error online was that $ORACLE_HOME and
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH must match.

Both of them had no value when I echoed them.  So I set them both to:

/apps/oracle/product/9.2/lib (which is where my libclntsh.so.9.0 is - I
softlinked it into /usr/lib)

and exported both environment variables.  Then I went back into the
Python interpreter and got

the same error (pasted above).

Help?

Thanks, and PLEASE REPLY TO ME AT MY ADDRESS - I AM NOT SUBSCRIBED TO
THE LIST.

Manus Hand