[DB-SIG] db module wrapper

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Sat Aug 21 00:45:27 CEST 2004

Ian Bicking wrote:

> Kevin Jacobs wrote:
>
>> Randall Smith wrote:
>>
>>> On a separate topic, got any ideas on how to abstract exceptions?
>>> If someone has already figured out an easy way to do this, I sure
>>> would appreciate the knowledge.
>>>
>> Yes.  I've posted my method for completely virtualizing
>> DB-API exceptions here no less than 4 times over the
>> years.  Do yourself a favor and spend some time in the
>> archives.  You'll be pleasantly surprised at how many
>> of your ideas will have been previously addressed,
>> many with working code, important test cases, and
>> useful discussion.
>

> And we will continue to do this on the list until we leave behind
> better artifacts than some mailing list archives and assorted recipes.

I wasn't suggesting taking the discussion off-list -- just that
the archives are a good place to start.  Without being too
cynical, most of the current discussion has been raised
before, discussed, and in most cases found to be lacking
for a general consensus API (like DB-API).  After all,
there isn't really much else to discuss on the DB-SIG
mailing list.

-Kevin

PS: For those disinclined to review the archives, here is
    a link to my "recipe":

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/db-sig/2003-April/003345.html